Monday 17 May 2010

personal statement

I have recently completed a masters in Analytical Bioscience at the University of Huddersfield. I am currently looking for lab based work. This is because I really enjoy working in the lab and I have a passion for it. I feel that I would be ideal for this role, because with my diverse range of skills I feel I could make a real impact in this position.

I pride my-self on my work ethic, attention to detail and organisational skills, I feel this is essential for this role because it enables me to adapt to and maximize my effectiveness in any role or position. I feel one of my positives is my wide range of life skills which is an advantage in any role enabling me to have transferrable skills in almost every situation I am placed in allowing me to work efficiently and use my initiative when it comes to problem solving. I feel exceptionally comfortable managing multiple projects simultaneously with different outcomes and deadlines and I have developed the skills necessary in order to meet them. I have completed several courses outside of academia in order to increase my range of base skills, including; computer programming, Microsoft office Programme use, project management, writing project reports, managing crisis situations, team work and team leading. I would describe my-self as a people person and I relish the challenges of working in a team with a wide range of people from different backgrounds.


I have also developed a strong focus on delivering highly accurate research (to GCLP) to strict timetables whilst working as a research assistant for Dr Richard Bingham at the University of Huddersfield. The aim of this research project was to isolate and purify three different SCR domains on Human Factor H protein. I was involved in every stage of the project from planning to execution. I managed to achieve a successful method for the protein extraction was designed, optimized and validated. A main part of this work was producing repeated and reliable biological measurements. This time offered me a real chance at developing my research skill in the lab. As part of my role I was required to manage my own individual part of the lab, ordering consumables and helping maintain equipment. I was also in charge of health and safety, risk assessment and COSHH for this area. I gained extensive experience of working both individually and as part of a multi-disciplinary team to work towards a common goal and regularly present results and feedback to them. I became adept at doing this in a concise and clear manner both verbally and on paper.

Whilst working as a research assistant I became highly competent at working to efficiently, accurately and precisely to various protocols and standard operating procedures. As part of the project I was required to produce many batches of e.coli initially using culture dishes, store them, and maintaining them whilst using aseptic technique. After experiments were completed I was required to autoclave glassware and safely dispose of disposables. I would feel confident doing that again. I was also required to liaise with various departments and in order to predict and maintain stock levels of many consumables within the micro-biology lab. Throughout the project I was also required to keep a large amount of highly detailed notes and other paperwork.

As a senior shift manager and training officer health and safety and equipment maintenance was one of my primary day-to-day tasks. Daily records needed to be kept and problems reported immediately. I feel the skills that I developed there would be easily transferrable to other positions.

No comments:

Post a Comment